Affinity Designer reviews

Affinity Designer

Software voor grafische en vectorvormgeving voor creatieve professionals

Prijs-kwaliteitverhouding

Trevor
Trevor
  • Sector: Internet

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 10.0 /10

Better than the big name alternatives

Beoordeeld op 16/2/2021

I was able to replace the annual subscription for Adobe products with Affinity Designer (as well as Affinity Photo). As such, I got a much better value since I didn't need to use my Adobe products very often. Also I was easily able learn how to use Designer because of the learning resources they have and the community / forums are large so most questions are already out there and answered.

Pluspunten

Affiniity Designer easily and immediately replaced my existing vector graphics program I was using before it (Illustrator). As such there was no major learning curve or wasted time switching over. Further, even though there is no subscription required, the software only continues to improve!

Minpunten

Even though it's not a major change from Illustrator, you do have to get used to a few things that are different. Not a big deal.

• Sector: Online media

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 9.0 /10

Affinity Designer is a Worthy Contender in the Design Software Space

Beoordeeld op 13/11/2019

Affinity Designer feels like a friendlier vector design option as compared with some of the other usual suspects. While old-school designers and illustrators may prefer a more traditional approach, A.D. doesn't make you work quite as hard for basic shapes, text, etc. On the other hand, the departures may make it a harder transition for more experienced users. And, while this isn't a reflection on the software specifically, as a newer addition to the space, there are fewer tutorials available. I don't use it exclusively in design work, but I definitely favor it in many ways.

Pluspunten

The interface is user-friendly, although there is definitely a learning curve coming from other vector design packages. I appreciate that there is a library of built-in shapes. When I'm trying to work through a design, I'd rather not have to draw a call-out or a cog or a heart. It's nice to be able to just pop them in. I also find that the basic text tool is friendlier than other packages.

Minpunten

There are some features that don't work as intended or are missing entirely, when compared against other vector design software. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to auto-trace a raster image, which would be helpful for my use.

Redenen om voor Affinity Designer te kiezen

I haven't completely made a switch, but I use both packages. I find Affinity Designer to be easier to use and enjoy some of the added features, like the ability to easily create common shapes.

Inkscape

Redenen om over te stappen op Affinity Designer

It's significantly less expensive than Adobe Illustrator and doesn't require a subscription fee. But I also just like overall design.
  • Sector: Computergames
  • Dagelijks 1-5 maanden lang gebruikt

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 10.0 /10

Adequate for my vector graphics needs, disappointed about lack of features.

Beoordeeld op 23/6/2020

It takes some getting used to, switching from Adobe Illustrator. The learning experience was fast for me, although there is not "much to learn" due to the lack of features. But overall, I am satisfied with this software because of all the value it provides.

Pluspunten

I love that this is a one-time purchase software that is really cheap for small studios and freelancers. If you make any amount of money with design, there is no reason why you should not get Affinity Designer.
Blazingly fast, you can scroll, zoom, and create designs super quickly and smoothly.
I love the fact that you can use it for basic "Photoshop"y things as well.

Minpunten

The pathfinding options are clunky.
Lack of useful features like "blend tool", "shape builder tool"
Lack of basic features like a vector-based pattern fill.
Edge artifacts when exporting.

• Sector: Gezondheid, wellness en fitness
  • Dagelijks Gratis proef lang gebruikt

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 8.0 /10

Better than I expected

Beoordeeld op 24/4/2020

I saw ads for the Affinity suite in the past, but always dismissed them as one of those half-baked knock-offs of photoshop that like to rope you in with "free"trials that don't let you save your files or something. Turns out I was very wrong! Affinity Designer and Publisher are both legitimate and very good pieces of software. They are feature rich, have some innovative features that aren't seen in other software and have ongoing development with regular updates.

Affinity Designer is quite intuitive, can do most things Illustrator can, can open and edit Illustrator files, so the transition was very smooth, with hardly any learning curve. Still had to google some to to figure out how certain operations were done in Designer that were different to Illustrator, and grapple with a few odd choices the devs made, over all I've been pretty pleased with Designer.

Decided to transition from Illustrator because it didn't make sense for us to pay for the subscription model because we only need to use it several times a year for creating product labels, and starting and cancelling subscriptions constantly is just cumbersome. Plus we already have a Photoshop and Lightroom subscription. I tried to move from Illustrator to Inkscape in the past, but that was just impossible, Inkscape can't open Illustrator files properly (even PDFs) and lacks so many features that it wasn't possible to use for what I needed it.

Pluspunten

Coming from Illustrator, it's very easy to adapt to, just minor differences in some workflows, but mostly it's intuitive. It can open and edit Illustrator files if they are pdf compatible, even deal with complex things like knockout groups correctly. It's also has some great ideas that I was pleasantly surprised by that made the workflow better and faster. Affinity devs listen to user feedback and regularly update their apps, so any features that it lacks it will probably get soon.

Minpunten

Lack of a good font manager, it just takes the fonts you have installed in your OS. No Google fonts integration or anything like Adobe Fonts, so if you're missing fonts you have to manually find them online and (buy or) download them the old-fashioned way.

Some odd workflow choices, minor things that can slow you down. Like no native way to permanently reset the bounding box of an object after it has been rotated, they have a toggle that works for 1 operation and switches back to the (skewed or rotated) original. The align UI and the order of actions to chose what to align to what is strange and can waste time. Other minor things like that that I ran into, but all in all it works well and gets the job done.

Adobe Illustrator en Inkscape

Redenen om over te stappen op Affinity Designer

An affordable one-time fee for a product that's just as good as illustrator. Works properly, has all the necessary features and is compatible with other software unlike Inkscape.
  • Maandelijks 2+ jaar lang gebruikt

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 10.0 /10

Budget alternative to Adobe's increasingly expensive product line..

Beoordeeld op 14/9/2020

The pricepoint and feature set make this a steal when you compare it to Adobe's competitor Illustrator. We bought a single license and had our most experienced designer test drive it. He ultimately recommended it and we've enjoyed a huge cost savings for software, while not missing a beat in terms of workload and output.

Pluspunten

This is a fantastic alternative to Adobe's Illustrator, especially at Affinity's pricepoint. To be fair, we're not a design agency first, we make websites and do marketing primarily. However, when we do want to work with vector graphics, Affinity Designer matches up almost 1:1 with Adobe Illustrator. The real pro is the one-time fee of $50 instead of a full adobe suite subscription. This allows our small team to effectively open, edit, and export vector graphics, without having a several hundred dollars per month bill to foot. For small teams, this is a huge win. I'd imagine some experienced designers will scoff that a few of their old shortcuts don't work, but all in all, the interface and function almost mirrors Adobe's for a fraction of the cost. We also use their photo editing software too, which replaces Photoshop.

Minpunten

Some of the terminology and keyboard shortcuts made the onboarding slightly more difficult for our long-time Adobe Illustrator users, but they've adopted nicely over time. There's always growing pains when you switch tools, but there are many more features that do match up 1:1 that this was a no brainer for our company.

• Sector: Bouwmaterialen
  • Dagelijks 6-12 maanden lang gebruikt

Illustrator Alternative, Almost Perfect

Beoordeeld op 26/1/2021

I love that I am able to open all of my old Adobe files seamlessly, for the most part. Yes, there are some minor things missing from the software but, for someone who does web and graphic design on a daily basis, this is a phenomenal software solution. Not to mention the normal $50 one-time purchase cost (currently only $25 due to COVID-19).

Pluspunten

They are constantly improving this software and making it the perfect 1:1 replacement for Adobe Illustrator, without the paywall. It's easy to use and understand while having advanced enough features for even the most technical users.

Minpunten

I wish I had the potential to seamlessly switch between the affinity app suite, like their Publisher software allows. It would be convenient for small changes using tools from my other Affinity products.

Glen
Glen
  • Sector: Grafisch ontwerp

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 10.0 /10

Dump Illustrator and use this epically great software

Beoordeeld op 2/12/2019

Very positive, I like how much power I have over the image I create! And how there are not so many panels everywhere it takes a while to get used to if you are switching from Adobe, but there is an elegance to their thinking!

Pluspunten

Fluid ease of use, very little is a struggle to understand! Compared to Illustrator this is an exercise in brilliant illustration vector software! This is quality software well thought out and a joy to use!

Minpunten

Nothing, although gradients could be easier to apply! They are a struggle to find, but once you do they are logical and easy to find, just do not expect to find a panel for everything like in Adobe software!

Jason
Jason
  • Maandelijks 6-12 maanden lang gebruikt

Extremely viable alternative to Photoshop and Illustrator

Beoordeeld op 29/7/2019

Pluspunten

The software is very familiar if you come from Photoshop and Illustrator, but manages to make it a smoother and more modern feeling experience. As far as I can tell all the main tools you'd need from Adobe's software is here. Best of all, you pay the price you'd pay for one month of Adobe software... and you actually own it! So if you can't or don't want to pay for the upgrade in a couple years, you aren't just up poop creek like you are with Adobe.

Minpunten

The only con I have encountered so far is the lack of a button you can hold to switch to colorpicker. This would speed up my workflow a fair bit.

Sketch

Redenen om voor Affinity Designer te kiezen

Adobe is too expensive and you don't own the projects you make with it, since opening them is dependent on an ongoing license.

Redenen om over te stappen op Affinity Designer

I love that Affinity handles both Vector and Raster, and works on Mac and Windows as well as iOS.
Andrés
Andrés
  • Sector: Verpakkingen en verpakkingsmaterialen
  • Wekelijks 1-5 maanden lang gebruikt

An Illustrator for me

Beoordeeld op 14/10/2020

I started using Affinity Designer because is a smaller app than others than do practically the same for me.

Pluspunten

Affinity Designer is light, fast and new.
When I say it's light is because it's much lighter than it's competitors and updates are not a headache.
Is faster than others trying to do simple tasks. Some products I have used are lagging when trying to do a font search.
It's new, and that it's the best feature of all. Affinity Designer came out to the market as a fair competitor to Illustrator. Oh, yes...it also works with Creative Cloud files.

Minpunten

Full of bugs, I hope they could fix them soon.
It doesn't have a great community online (YouTube videos, discussion blogs, etc), it's not as popular as Illustrator or Corel Draw.

Arvindkumar
Arvindkumar

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 8.0 /10

One of the best design softwares in the market

Beoordeeld op 6/10/2019

Pluspunten

The design tools in Affinity Designer are simplified, making shorten the design process. I appreciate the clean user interface in their softwares. The tools are up to date and also offers formats that meets the industry standard.

Minpunten

There have been some minor problem while I am using the software such as program automatically closed while I was doing my work. I hope they are able to fix the issue that I've encountered in the foreseeable future.

John
  • Sector: Consumentendiensten
  • Wekelijks 1+ jaar lang gebruikt

Capable "Owned" Replacements for Adobe Creative Cloud "Leased" Software

Beoordeeld op 11/1/2020

I'm very pleased with my Affinity products. I have used Affinity Designer (Illustrator replacement) since shortly after it was released and was also an early adopter of Affinity Photo (Photoshop replacement). As of about four weeks ago, I relegated the Adobe CS6 apps to a legacy machine and in that time, I have found no reason to go back to them. (Note: I have never used Adobe CC, since it is leased. The apps that I moved to a legacy Mac was CS6.)

The only feature that I wish Affinity would add is "background texture" in "effects". It would speed up my uses of effects.

The only feature that I wish Affinity would improve is their "live" view of effects changes.

There is a learning curve. Some things are more difficult that with comparable Adobe apps, but others are much easier. I'm a Photoshop guru and have not found anything I can do in Photoshop that I can't do in Affinity Photo. The same applies to Affinity Designer, but I'm not an Illustrator guru.

All in all, I'm "extremely pleased" with the Affinity apps. They are respectable "owned" replacements for the comparable Adobe "leased" apps. I have bid adieu to Adobe and after more than a month, I've found no reason to look back.

Pluspunten

Both Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer are excellent and capable replacements for the Adobe CC packages they replace. But most of all, unlike the Adobe apps they replace, I "OWN" the Affinity apps.

Although I don't use Affinity software every day, when I need it, I need it immediately. I cannot afford to be denied access to leased software, simply because some black hat hacked a license server that I have no control over. As a former white hat hacker and IT Director, I know the risks all too well. That's why I only use software that I "own".

Big companies spend tons of money on security. But despite all the high-end security software and procedures, we've all heard about numerous Fortune 500 companies and even the US government getting hacked. Not only is there no guarantee that a license server won't be hacked, but such servers are major targets. By contrast, my computer is a minor target. Sure, I can still be hacked. But if that happens, I can restore everything from an on-site backup in an hour. OTOH, if a hacker gets into a license server and sets all licenses to "expired", it could take days or even weeks for a company with 100K+ licenses to correct the problem, during which time, the license holders are down.

I "OWN" my Affinity software. It cannot be turned off.

Also, Affinity does not force you to update to the latest version, as do certain leased apps. I typically delay updating any app till I've had a chance to read the blogs about the update.

Minpunten

The way effects handles background textures is quite different from Photoshop and Illustrator and there is a resultant learning curve. That said, you can, with just a little more effort, achieve an output that is almost identical to what came from the comparable Adobe app. In fact, once you learn how to manipulate the effects, you can some times create a better looking output than what can be produced with an Adobe app.

There are some shortcut keys that are in Adobe apps, for which I have not yet found a comparable shortcut in the Affinity apps. OTOH, there are some shortcuts in the Affinity apps that are no available at all in the comparable Adobe products.

The negatives with Affinity apps are very minor, compared to the positives of being an "owned" product.

Redenen om voor Affinity Designer te kiezen

Replaced Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator - For some time, I have been using the no longer supported Adobe CS6 suite, in order to avoid being held hostage by the Adobe CC leasing scheme. Since Adobe CC was released, I was actively looking for a respectable replacement for Photoshop and Illustrator. When I found Affinity Designer, I was very excited. But Illustrator was a secondary tool for me. My primary tool was Photoshop and at that time, Affinity Photo was not available. But when Affinity Photo was released, I was elated. It was far more than I would have expected of a first release of a Photoshop competitor. In fact, it should not be called a Photoshop competitor. It's a Photoshop replacement, plain and simple. Moreover, with a few minor changes, it could soon be a Photoshop "Upgrade".

Redenen om over te stappen op Affinity Designer

Affinity Photo is easier to use than GIMP and has better support. Pixelmator Pro is not as capable as Affinity Photo. Corel has finally re-released Corel Draw on Mac, but it is far more expensive than Affinity Designer and offers nothing that Designer does not offer.
Michael
  • Dagelijks 1+ jaar lang gebruikt

Excellent Product

Beoordeeld op 28/1/2021

My experience has been wonderful, I see some of the new AI-type features in CC, but for my purposes the Affinity can do 98% of everything I might have ever wanted from CC and for a much better, one-time price.

Pluspunten

I use the full Affinity suite (Designer, Photo and Publisher) and am VERY pleased with each. The ability to create and edit files in one and seamlessly switch to the other (e.g. edit photo in Photo and switch over to Designer to do some curved text or other vector work and then switch back to Photo) is amazing, and quite a time saver. I create several print-ready images every month and used to pay a LOT more for CC, which started to become a burden. Switching to Affinity saves me a lot of money (and also time)

Minpunten

Not a complaint, but if this software could somehow use all of the thousands of Photoshop plugins and filters out there, it would be incredible.

CorelDRAW en Adobe Creative Cloud

Redenen om voor Affinity Designer te kiezen

Mostly price. I also did not like all of the additional drivers and misc stuff that Adobe installed and keeps running all the time in the background.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Redenen om over te stappen op Affinity Designer

Better value, extremely polished and reliable
Jens

IMO the Best Vector Editing Software on the Market

Beoordeeld op 21/7/2021

Fabulous. I bought the software in 2014 when it was first released and Serif has supplied free upgrades for almost seven years now (bringing it from version 1.0 to 1.9).
It's super easy to learn when you come from competing software and because it's newly developed it doesn't carry the heft of many, many years of old code and compatibility issues around (looking at you, Illustrator!).

Pluspunten

It's modern, FAST (in capitals), easy to use, affordable and regularly updated.
Also, Affinity Designer (and it's companion applications Photo and Publisher) are available on both Windows and macOS with 100% file compatibility; In addition there is an iPad edition available, again with 100% compatible files and great drawing features for Apple Pencil.

Minpunten

The management of ,global colours' and 'normal colours' needs some getting used to. Once you know how it works, it works well, but it's a bit different than I expected.

Sketch

Redenen om voor Affinity Designer te kiezen

I switched because Affinity Designer comes at a one-off price and the software I used before switched to a subscription model. The other software I used before that was not available on macOS (it is now, but runs really, really badly).

Adobe Illustrator en CorelDRAW

Redenen om over te stappen op Affinity Designer

The two reasons I chose Affinity Designer over other evaluated software: - There is two more products in the suite (Affinity Photo and Publisher) and "working seamlessly together" is an understatement (StudioLink basically melts the three applications into one) - Out of the three products I looked at Affinity Designer is the one with the best export options for print-ready PDF documents
Destiny
  • Sector: Grafisch ontwerp

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 10.0 /10

So impressed with Affinity Designer!

Beoordeeld op 18/2/2022

Overall, this program has been more beneficial than any other art program I've used. I create coloring books and the vectoring tools have made the process so much faster, easier, and cleaner looking than the hand-drawn rastered techniques I was using before.

Pluspunten

This is the easiest vectoring program I've ever used for lineart and I'm amazed at its affordability compared to insanely-priced subscription services like Adobe.

Minpunten

I only have two gripes with this program. 1) As of the writing of this review, you can't merge vectored strokes into one layer. You can merge multiple shapes into one shape but every vectored line/stroke has its own layer and can only be 'grouped', not merged. When I'm done with a lineart, I want it to be one layer-- not thousands. 2) Protecting/locking PDFs from editing does not seem to be possible at the moment and that's a huge security issue for a lot of artists who don't want their work edited without authorization. Would really like to see this issue fixed.

Martin
  • Sector: Fabricage van elektrische/elektronische producten
  • Dagelijks 1+ jaar lang gebruikt

Affinity Designer - a great, cost-efficient alternative to Adobe Illustrator

Beoordeeld op 4/10/2022

Everyday I use Affinity Designer to create social media artwork for my charity project. I used Affinity Designer each day to import clip-art from my Alibre Design Expert CAD software to create engineering and sales presentations. I have used Affinity Designer to import, edit PDF's and then output new PDFs. This software is a fantastic, low-cost, high-value tool that everyone should have in their toolbox.

Pluspunten

For many years I worked with the Adobe Suite tools, including Illustrator. Each year I had paid over $600 to rent these tools in a subscription. One day I discovered Affinity Designer. I put it through all the tests of art design functions I normally used Illustrator for. I was absolutely blown away that I could literally do everything I once did in Illustrator. The best part is, not only the price of Affinity Designer 1/12 that of Adobe Illustrator subscription, but I actually own Affinity Designer. I love this software. In fact, I went back and purchased all of their art tool lines: Affinity Photo, Publisher, and art-tool add-ons. I own all of these Affinity art tools at a fraction of the cost of one Adobe Suite subscription.

Minpunten

I have no negative comments about Affinity Designer.

Sebastian
  • Sector: Design en ontwerp

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 10.0 /10

Best value for price in the industry

Beoordeeld op 4/1/2023

Overall a very good experience and after using it for a while i cannot go back to Adobe Illustrator.

Pluspunten

It has a very competetive pricing for what it can do. It does not have a subscription model, which is very incommon nowadays. While it is still lacking behind on some features compared to others like Adobe Illustrator, it is catching up fast.

Minpunten

Some features that one is used to from Adobe Illustrator are missing. Hoping for the addition in a future update.

Andréas

A great Vector Design Application

Beoordeeld op 15/3/2020

I love this software! I use it every day as a tool for vector design.

I love this software! I use it every day as a tool for vector design.

Pluspunten

Affinity Designer (and it's sister applications) is application you really must love! The pricetag, the functionality, the support - it's all excellent.

Minpunten

The progress of making new functionality is slow and on Windows 10 the application is sometimes a bit buggy.

Redenen om voor Affinity Designer te kiezen

The price tag is much more suitable for a Small Company. And the ability to own your bought product instead of renting it should be a reason for anyone to switch.

Redenen om over te stappen op Affinity Designer

The price tag and the ownership. Adobe subscription is expensive for a small company.
Hayden
  • Sector: Mediaproductie

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 10.0 /10

I love this software, beware Adobe

Beoordeeld op 5/5/2022

I use Affinity Designer on a daily basis, to create graphics and assets for video and animation, as well as all the graphic design needs for my job. Strongly support the vision and accessibility of Affinity compared to the Adobe rent software model. Love the fact that all updates are also free and they just keep on improving, you go Affinity.

Pluspunten

Very powerful and well rounded design software.
Inexpensive, yet a great alternative to Illustrator

Minpunten

Not many collaboration and no good perspective tools.

CorelDRAW

Redenen om voor Affinity Designer te kiezen

Pricing and features. Still use Adobe in some capacity.

Pricing and accessibility
Skyler
  • Sector: Tekstschrijvers
  • Maandelijks 1+ jaar lang gebruikt

The Perfect Adobe Illustrator Alternative

Beoordeeld op 10/5/2022

My experience with Affinity Designer has been great. I am a professional writer and only use graphic design and photo editing software a few times per month. I kept Adobe CS6 until it was no longer supported, and then moved to an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription for a year. It wasn't worth the money for me considering how infrequently I used it. Affinity Illustrator and Photo have allowed me to cancel my Adobe subscription, and have a full-featured graphic design program which covers 95% of all my needs. For the price, there is not a better option anywhere!

Pluspunten

I love that Affinity Designer has most of the essential graphic design features of Adobe Illustrator, for a fraction of the price. You can buy Designer outright with a one-time purchase for the price of just ONE month of an Adobe Creative Cloud All Apps subscription. The software is intuitive and easy to use, and is starting to become more popular amongst designers. If you come from Illustrator, there is only a small learning curve, and new features are constantly being added to bring it up to par with AI.

Minpunten

Some features are frustratingly similar to Adobe Illustrator, but slightly different, which can take time to figure them out, and slow down your workflow. Minor annoyances include not being able to trace a PNG into a vector, and not being able to merge vectors into one layer. Also, there aren't as many YouTube tutorials as AI, and Affinity only has videos for each function rather than a full course from beginner to pro, which makes it difficult to learn.

Jonathan
  • Wekelijks 1+ jaar lang gebruikt

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 9.0 /10

Really good tools - and much less expensive than Adobe

Beoordeeld op 21/5/2020

Very happy with the Affinity tools on the whole, and I can recommend them especially For iPad work and for working in small teams.

Pluspunten

I use Affinity for my own creations, mostly drawing and cartooning, and I really like it. It has most of the same tools as the Adobe tools I used but it’s way better thought out when I use it on my iPad. Same goes for the Affinity Photo app. They both work very well on my iPad. I have used the Affinity tools on my iMac and they are responsive there too.
They aLso have some really good filters and a good ecosystem for lenses and other tools as well as for tutorials and sharing artwork in the community.
But maybe it’s biggest plus is the price compared to Adobe. The fact that I don’t have to pay monthly for it, and it’s a great product are key factors. I think it’s a great alternative to Adobe products.

Minpunten

The tool icons themselves are small and make it difficult to locate them sometimes and the UI isn’t as polished as Adobe. Also I haven’t been able to really take advantage of the personas they have for designer and photo apps. Also the fact that when you open an non-Affinity image you are pushed to save it their proprietary format as opposed to the format you opened it in.

Subigyan
  • Sector: Design en ontwerp

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 10.0 /10

Affinity Designer is great option in designing market

Beoordeeld op 4/5/2020

Overall it was nice using Affinity designer. The major problem with it was it lacks some important tools which are existing in other software, which has been cleared out in newer updates. You can just make anything in it from website, app design to vector art and illustration which is a very nice point as this is only a single time payment software.

Pluspunten

These major pros of the affinity designer I found
1. The software is an only one-time payment which makes the Affinity designer much more relevant than other subscription-based Softwares out there.
2. It consists of a lot of tools required for vector illustrations to UI/UX design to even web designs.
3. User Interface is very good compared to other Softwares out there in the market.
4. And at last, the cross-platform support from other software like adobe creative cloud suite makes it relevant for the price you pay.

Minpunten

There are not many cons you will get from this software actually one major con is
1. It lacks many tools compared to other competitive software in the industry

Hailey
  • Sector: Beeldende kunst
  • Bedrijfsgrootte: 10.000+ werknemers
  • Maandelijks 2+ jaar lang gebruikt

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 10.0 /10

Absolute must for digital artists who are sick of Adobe Photoshop fees,

Beoordeeld op 20/5/2022

We have been so impressed with the ease and quality of the software that we have completely switched from Adobe Photoshop to the Affinity software series.

Pluspunten

The software is near identical to Adobe Photoshop, with some key features excelling expectations, but the one time affordable payment makes this software a must in this industry.

Minpunten

Affinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher collectively provide the exact same product as Adobe Photoshop and more but are sold separately. Still worth buying each as the value over time compared to Adobe Photoshop with their monthly fees.

Boris

• Waarschijnlijkheid van aanbeveling 10.0 /10

Best vector editor for a fraction of the price

Beoordeeld op 6/3/2021

We used Adobe for a long time but decided to switch to Affinity Designer when they offered the free trial and we are very happy we did! It saved us hundreds of dollars in just the few months that we were using it. If I could rate it any higher, I would! The entire Serif company is amazing at what they do and they are rolling out major updates very often. We use it for all of our graphic design needs, from logotypes to icons we use in our apps and, frankly, I will never look back to any other graphic design software.

Pluspunten

It is super affordable! Affinity even lowered their prices 50% at the start of the pandemic and offered a three month free trial. It has all the options Illustrator has, and is as clean and usable as Illustrator.

Minpunten

There is nothing I could find so far that I didn't like! Affinity Designer is the way to go!

Inkscape

Redenen om voor Affinity Designer te kiezen

To avoid high fees that come with software as a service. It is unfair to pay for software on a subscription basis.

Adobe Illustrator en Inkscape

Redenen om over te stappen op Affinity Designer

Affinity offered a gracious trial
Luz

Affinity - Best of both worlds

Beoordeeld op 9/2/2021

I been using the Affinity suite (Designer, Photo, Publisher) for months now and strongly feel that this is a great investment for the money (one time purchase).
All my (basic) design needs have been met so far. I've seen examples of other projects done with the suite and it is a very powerful contender to Adobe.

Pluspunten

Affinity Designer is a very cost effective solution vs Adobe Illustrator. I love that it has all the features I need (and more). It is easy to use (if you know Illustrator or other design software), the brushes are helpful. I regularly use it to create/edit icons, and designs for my books.
I am not a professional designer, so for me it has been a great tool.

Minpunten

Some times it feels as if there are too many options. This comes with the package of not being a basic Design software (which is good actually). This is not a fault of the software, but lack of knowledge on my part.

Jeremy
  • Sector: Tekstschrijvers
  • Maandelijks 6-12 maanden lang gebruikt

Gotta Get Them All

Beoordeeld op 31/3/2021

I should start by saying that I didn't think I'd need Affinity Designer when I bought it. The only reason I bought it (and its product sibling, Affinity Photo) was because the product I actually wanted (Affinity Publisher) has a component called "Studio Link" that allows owners of Designer and Photo to switch "personas," which is a fancy word for summoning the tool set for Designer or Photo, whenever they need to update an image, logo, vector, landscape photo, etc. within a print layout for magazines, books (my exact use case), posters, fliers, or any other printed publication for business. By having a copy of Designer, I can use its full feature set right inside Publisher (same with Photo). I never have to exit the program or swap the image file I need to work on. It's not just innovative, it's efficient: one of the functional reasons (outside the obvious cost benefit) to using Affinity Anything over Adobe Anything (including Illustrator, it's main competition).

But the funny thing is that once I bought Designer (and Photo), I saw a need for it. It's now my go-to for designing vector images, which can help me to make a logo for my website or a character + scene or idea design for my book covers (in comedies and coming-of-age fiction). The hardest part is actually learning how to draw with vectors.

Spoiler Alert: It's not hard, even if you're an amateur like me. Get the Affinity Designer textbook or watch expert tutorials, and you'll figure it out in no time.

Pluspunten

The main reason I bought the program was because it integrates with Affinity Publisher, another tool from the same company that I needed for book design. This is probably more of a pro in Publisher's camp, but Designer's compatibility with Affinity's entire suite of products made it attractive.

But it didn't take long for me to realize that I needed a program to design vector graphics, and Affinity Designer scratches that itch well. I can't compare its feature set to its competitor, Adobe Illustrator, because I don't use Adobe products, so I can't discuss what it lacks. But when it comes to essential layered shape designs and special effects (and creating patterns, and designing logos, and so on), it includes everything you need to get the job done well.

It's also easy to use. The product's store page also sells a textbook that holds your hand through designing projects, so it's very learn-as-you-go. The video tutorials also offer quick tips and best practices, and you can get additional design ideas from Affinity's YouTube channel.

The price is unbeatable. It charges an ownership fee, not a subscription fee, so you pay for the product once (and depending on your budget, you don't pay much) and keep it forever. The price includes all updates within that version, and it updates enough to maintain user confidence.

Overall, my opinion is that if you care about graphics of any kind, this is a tool worth having. But you should get all of Affinity's products. They're worth it.

Minpunten

If I were a dedicated graphic design artist, I might have an opinion here. But as a writer and sometimes game designer, my graphic needs are governed by situation, and so far my situation has not revealed any frustrations that I wouldn't extend to all Affinity products. So, the only actual negative I have right now is trivial. I'd need to use the software consistently to become excellent, and I don't need it often enough to become excellent. But if I were to use it consistently, the tools it offers would help me become excellent. So, there's no real con to buying this program, especially at its price point. Keeping track of the art boards gave me a headache the first time I used them. I think I may have used them wrong. A true graphic designer probably wouldn't have that kind of problem. It would be like a non-writer trying to learn how to use the style sheets in Microsoft Word (or Affinity Publisher, for that matter). Not hopeless, but not easy on the first try.

No, the only nitpick I have is the same about all of Affinity's products. To update them, you have to manually download and install the newest version. Each product is half a gigabyte in size. Multiply that by three (because all three share the same updates), and it can get expensive on your hard drive if you don't have that delete key ready. It would be nicer if they had an auto-updating option available (for those who trust the integrity of updates). But that's about it.

Oh, and Affinity likes RAM. Lots of RAM.